Stage 3 Water restrictions
July 24, 2023
Stage 3 Responses -- SEVERE Water Shortage Conditions
Goal: Achieve a 15 percent reduction in daily water demand
Supply Management Measures:
Discontinued flushing of water mains, and discontinued irrigation of public landscaped areas.
Water Use Restrictions:
1) Irrigation of landscaped areas shall be limited to Sundays and Thursdays for customers with a street address ending in an even number (0, 2, 4, 6 or 8), and Saturdays and Wednesdays for water customers with a street address ending in an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7 or 9) between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 10:00 a.m. and between 8 p.m. and 12:00 midnight and shall be by means of hand-held hoses, hand-held buckets, drip irrigation, or permanently installed automatic sprinkler system only. The use of hose-end sprinklers is prohibited at all times.
2) Use of water to wash any motor vehicle, motorbike, boat, trailer, airplane or other vehicle is prohibited except on designated watering days between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 10:00 a.m. and between 8:00 p.m. and 12:00 midnight. Such washing, when allowed, shall be done with a hand-held bucket or a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shutoff nozzle for quick rises. Vehicle washing may be done at any time on the immediate premises of a commercial car wash or commercial service station. Further, such washing may be exempted from these regulations if the health, safety, and welfare of the public is contingent upon frequent vehicle cleansing, such as garbage trucks and vehicles used to transport food and perishables.
3) Use of water to fill, refill, or add to any indoor or outdoor swimming pools, wading pools, or Jacuzzi-type pools is prohibited except on designated watering days between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 10:00 a.m. and between 8 p.m. and 12:00 midnight.
4) Operation of any ornamental fountain or pond for aesthetic or scenic purposes is prohibited except where necessary to support aquatic life or where such fountains or ponds are equipped with a recirculation system.
5) Use of water from hydrants shall be limited to fire fighting, related activities, or other activities necessary to maintain public health, safety, and welfare, except that use of water from designated fire hydrants for construction purposes may be allowed under special permit from the Jarrell-Schwertner Water Supply Corporation.
6) The watering of golf course tees is prohibited unless the golf course utilizes a water source other than that provided by the Jarrell-Schwertner Water Supply Corporation
7) All restaurants are prohibited from serving water to patrons except upon request of the patron.
8) The following uses of water are defined as non-essential and are prohibited:
1) Wash down of any sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts, or other hard-surfaced areas;
2) Use of water to wash down buildings or structures for purposes other than immediate fire protection;
3) Use of water for dust control;
4) Flushing gutters or permitting water to run or accumulate in any gutter or street; and
5) Failure to repair a controllable leak within a reasonable period of time after notice has been given.
9) The use of water for construction purposes from designated fire hydrants under special permit is to be discontinued.